After Henderson Robb has developed a marketing campaign with a keyword strategy and optimized your website for Search Engine Optimization, you’re ready for the main plank of online marketing strategies – blogging.
Blogging platforms like HubSpot, WordPress and Blogger have made publishing on the Internet easier than ever. Once our clients have a clear understanding of their business’s keywords and we’ve optimized their website for search engines, the next step should be to attract more visitors by expanding your online presence. Blogging and creating other content like ebooks and webinars are powerful Internet marketing strategies we use to drive the right people to your business online.
We are often asked how to start blogging. Our answer is, “take off your hat as a business owner or marketing manager and try to think a magazine publisher. The goal of your business should be to publish articles promotional and non-promotional that are valuable to your audiences, much in the way a column or an article in an in a magazine would be. Also, think about the words you are using. Avoid industry buzzwords and jargon that only your employees would understand. Just a in the process of the keyword strategies we design, we encourage our customers to think of the words their customers would use to describe their business and apply those phrases to their blogging language. Blogging is a powerful way to help more discover your business online.
If we do not actually do the blogging for our customers, we set them up with free tools to allow them easily publish content online. When selecting a business blogging platform, however, you need to consider a few special requirements.
- First, make sure your blog is a section of your business website. Without a blog, a website is like a brochure that doesn’t change very often. A blog makes your website more dynamic buy automatically injecting new content every time an article is published. Search engines reward higher rankings to websites that consistently add fresh content, and these higher rankings translate into new visitors and leads for your business.
- Blogging platforms to consider if you are looking for one for your business include HubSpot, WordPress, TypePad, Drupal and Posterous. All these platforms offer a content management system (CMS) that enables you to easily add content to your blog, without needing to know any HTML code. Thus, you can update your site without having to wait for a Webmaster to make changes.
- Key components of a great blog post that are essential for attracting traffic and converting the traffic into leads are:
- Compelling article titles – your article title is the first thing people will see, so it should clearly indicate what the article is about
- Clarity and specificity attract readers and prompt them to share the post with their networks
- Your titles should also appeal to search engines: remember to include an industry keyword in your title for SEO purposes. Well-written and formatted in a way that makes it easy to read
- Consider using header tags and bullet points to break up the content into sections
- Ask a coworker or a friend to review the post before you publish. Add Multimedia content that is relevant to make your blog article more memorable and fun to read. It also helps to break up the text to make it more pleasing to the eye. Aim to add at least one relevant image to the blog.
A Digital Marketing company like ours often finds clients starting down this road and then finding detours or roadblocks such as waned enthusiasm and or human resources keep them from publishing. In these cases, we end up being the creator of content and publisher for them. When this happens, we put our team together and develop content blueprints for them so that we and map out 12 months of article content for them to approve and provide input into. When companies hire us to ‘be them” we can take the time required to create slideshow presentations, video and infographics to make their blogs much more dynamic. We want our client’s readers to dig deeper into the resources they are most interested in. We create landing pages with links from the blogs so that we can generate more leads with the content. We put CTAs (Calls-to-Action) in each and every blog article we publish top help boost lead generation. All of our blog start with a purpose. We ask ourselves, “What are we trying to educate our client’s industry and readers about”? This education is not about your product. It’s about common industry issues, the problems your potential customers face and, sometimes, the solutions your product or service offer to tackle these challenges.
A great way to start blogging, whether it’s you, your staff or your marketing consultant, is to answer the ten most common questions you get asked by prospective new customers. Do this once a week for ten weeks so that your blog has the foundation of a successful one.
Our Internet advertising strategies include CTAs in a sidebar of our client’s blog as well as on every individual article we publish. In addition to image/button CTAs, we include text CTAs within the body of the blog content. At the beginning, middle or end of every blog article, we place some sort of CTA that will encourage people to take action like: Download some content, Follow the business on social media, Subscribe to the blog or Join your newsletter.
While it’s a great place to start, blog content isn’t the only type of content you can be creating to be successful with Internet marketing. Henderson Robb Marketing encourages the creation of longer form content items like ebooks, whitepapers or research reports that can be used for lead generation. We also consider text based offers like how-to whiteboard videos, webinars, and slideshows. Such offers will feed your business conversions. An industry resource that took some time and effort to put together provides the types of value visitors are looking for. It might educate, enrich one ‘s knowledge or simply entertain. In any case, it has the power to achieve an information exchange: the process in which a visitor fills out a lead capture form to access the resource. This is a critical point in the sales cycle. The offers we produce for you shouldn’t be randomly selected. On the contrary, there is some precise math behind these decisions: math we get from your marketing analytics. Reporting insights will direct your Internet marketing company to the types of content, which attracts your target audience. For instance, if a whitepaper on heating systems brought you more leads and sales than a webinar on the same topic then we should focus on writing more text-based content. In this context, closed-loop marketing is an essential element of finding the highest converting offers and leveraging them appropriately.
Once you settle on what your marketing budget is and which marketing or SEO Company, you will work with, you need to explore web design, social media marketing, pay-per-click advertising and email marketing. At the end of the day, when the ducks are all in a row, you can blog on.